Shakey strikes back by 0.023s ahead of Datatag Qualifying at Oulton Park
Defending champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne fought back in the final free practice session at Oulton Park this afternoon as the Be Wiser Ducati rider saved his best until last to push Leon Haslam back into second place by 0.023s.
The top 11 riders were covered by just 0.954s and the positions shuffled constantly as the MCE BSB heavyweights went head to head ahead of this afternoon’s Datatag Qualifying session.
Haslam had set the pace yesterday, but Byrne was on the comeback and he moved ahead of the two JG Speedfit Kawasakis as Haslam was pushed all the way by team-mate Luke Mossey to the finish.
The pair sandwiched the Be Wiser Ducatis as Glenn Irwin held on to fourth place with a final strong of laps to move ahead of Jake Dixon who had another strong session on the RAF Reserves Kawasaki.
James Ellison was the fastest of the Yamaha contenders in sixth position – the McAMS Yamaha contender narrowly holding off the charge from Josh Brookes at the chequered flag. Peter Hickman, Christian Iddon and Tommy Bridewell completed the top ten for Team WD-40 Kawasaki.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, Free Practice three:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 1m:34.949s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.023s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.416s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.463s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Reserves Kawasaki) +0.601s
- James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +0.611s
- Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.725s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.725s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.789s
- Tommy Bridewell (Team WD-40 Kawasaki) +0.846s