Datatag British Superbikes Official Sponsor - Round 3 Snetterton 300
British Superbikes Round 3 Snetterton 300 13th-15th May 2013
Super Snetterton for Byrne as Bridewell scores first podium of 2014
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne stormed to a double victory at Snetterton in a dramatic second MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship race at the Norfolk circuit as title rival Josh Brookes crashed out of contention, whilst his team-mate Tommy Bridewell scored his first podium of 2014.
Brookes had fired to the front of the field on the opening lap from Byrne and Bridewell, with Byrne soon back ahead and the pair swapped positions for the lead before the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider held the advantage. His Australian rival though was determined and made a move at Murrays a few laps later to regain the position with Bridewell and Ellison in close contention.
A lap later and Byrne made his move at Riches after the pair were side-by-side down the Senna Straight, but again the Milwaukee Yamaha rider made a move back on the brakes at Montreal. Byrne wasn't settling for second and again was on the counterattack, making a pass at Agostini to get back ahead with the top four covered by just 0.8 seconds in the early stages of the race.
Brookes was pushing hard and on the 13th lap suffered a huge high-side on the exit of Montreal, with the Australian able to get to his feet. This left Byrne at the front and Ellison and Bridewell fighting for second over the final laps. Ellison made a move on Bridewell at Agostini but went wide, giving Bridewell the chance to cut back on the inside. However Ellison had one last chance to claim second and with a determined move the Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki rider forged ahead to score his best result of the season.
Ryuichi Kiyonari had been pushing hard to get ahead of Julien Da Costa and the triple champion was able to get ahead and hold off the Honda Racing rider on his return to the grid. Dan Linfoot on the Quattro Plant Kawasaki had another strong performance to end his best weekend of the season so far by fending off John Hopkins on the Tyco Suzuki in seventh place.
Jakub Smrz fought from his fourth row start to eighth ahead of Josh Waters and Richard Cooper with six different nationalities and six manufacturers featuring inside the top ten.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Snetterton, race two result:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
- James Ellison (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +2.164s
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +3.631s
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) +9.210s
- Julien Da Costa (Honda Racing) +13.509s
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +17.539s
- John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +17.709s
- Jakub Smrz (Millsport Ducati) +17.868s
- Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +37.868s
- Richard Cooper (Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki) +37.941s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Snetterton:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 145
- James Ellison (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 100
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) 85
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) 69
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) 51
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 49
Brookes outguns Byrne to lead times into Snetterton qualifying
Josh Brookes was back on top at Snetterton this morning as the Milwaukee Yamaha rider fired himself ahead of Shane 'Shakey' Byrne in the final free practice session as the Datatag Extreme Qualifying now beckons this afternoon in Norfolk.
Brookes and Byrne switched positions at the top of the times and in the final minute the pair were both on an improving lap, but the Australian had the edge at the chequered flag to hold off the triple champion by 0.150s.
Millsport Ducati's Jakub Smrz continued his strong form at the Snetterton circuit by posting the third fastest time, pushing Julien Da Costa to fourth in the final minutes of the session for Honda Racing.
Tommy Bridewell had been at the top of the times earlier in the session but the Milwaukee Yamaha held the fifth fastest time ahead of Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki's James Ellison and James Westmoreland on the Buildbase BMW.
John Hopkins broke into the top ten for Tyco Suzuki in ninth whilst Richard Cooper on the Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki completed the top ten.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Snetterton, free practice three result:
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) 1m:48.280s
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.150s
- Jakub Smrz (Millsport Ducati) +0.209s
- Julien Da Costa (Honda Racing) +0.575s
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.625s
- James Ellison (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +0.987s
- James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +1.328s
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +1.417s
- John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +1.417s
- Richard Cooper (Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki) +1.417s