Datatag British Superbikes Official Sponsor - Round 8 Cadwell Park
British Superbikes Round 8 Cadwell Park 23rd-25th August 2014
Hickman becomes second debut victor as rivals crash out
Peter Hickman became the second rider to celebrate a debut MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship race win in the final race of the day at Cadwell Park as the RAF Reserves Honda rider scored the team victory ahead of Byrne. However it was disappointment for title contenders Josh Brookes and Ryuichi Kiyonari who both crashed out unhurt.
Byrne initially hit the front of the field on the opening lap from Hickman and race one winner Tommy Bridewell, but the RAF Reserves Honda rider didn't wait long to make a move and he passed the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider to claim the advantage.
Hickman was edging away from Byrne as he mastered the wet conditions and although at the mid-point of the race the gap closed, the triple champion couldn't get close enough to make a move and the RAF Reserves Honda team celebrated victory in their debut season in MCE BSB. Byrne held on to second to double up on podium finishes but for his closest rivals it was a disastrous second race.
Josh Brookes' race was dramatically cut short when he crashed at the top of the Mountain on the warm up lap and although the Milwaukee Yamaha rider took his position on the grid he was black flagged and had to return to the garage.
Brookes wasn't the only one of the confirmed Title Fighters to crash out of contention with Kiyonari high-siding out of third place at the Hairpin on the fifth lap to end his hopes of closing in on Byrne in the Podium Points standings.
Bridewell had a double celebration as he scored a third place finish to secure his position as a Title Fighter in the Showdown but behind the battle raged throughout the race. Gary Mason carved his way through the order to score the Tsingtao Kawasaki team their best result in the championship in fourth place and behind Josh Waters and Jon Kirkham both bounced back from their race one crashes to finish in fifth and sixth respectively.
Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki's stand in rider Glen Richards used his wealth of experience to dice with the pack, holding off Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki's Chris Walker for seventh position in the closing stages of the race. Local contender Ben Wilson was back at the sharp end for Gearlink Kawasaki in ninth place with Michael Rutter holding off Dan Linfoot for the final top ten position.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, race two result:
- Peter Hickman (RAF Reserves Honda)
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +3.398s
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +12.886s
- Gary Mason (Tsingtao Kawasaki) +18.282s
- Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +24.701s
- Jon Kirkham (Halsall Biker Gear Kawasaki) +28.781s
- Glen Richards (Anvil Hire TAG Kawasaki) +29.031s
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +32.093s
- Ben Wilson (Gearlink Kawasaki) +32.357s
- Michael Rutter (Bathams BMW) +33.034s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Cadwell Park:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 353
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) 257
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) 202
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) 183
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) 170
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 160
Shakey smashes lap record to claim Cadwell Park pole
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne smashed the lap record at Cadwell Park to claim pole position for tomorrow's opening MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at the Lincolnshire circuit from Ryuichi Kiyonari. It was disappointment for Josh Brookes though as the Australian failed to set a lap time in Q3 and he will start tenth.
Byrne had brushed off his crash this morning at Hall Bends to come out fighting in the Datatag Qualifying session, making the cut from Brookes and Kiyonari. The triple champion saved his best until last though and proved he is ready to fight for his first win since Knockhill by scorching to the top of the timesheets.
Kiyonari had been confident but he had to settle for second ahead of Tommy Bridewell who claimed his first front row start of the session for Milwaukee Yamaha. Bridewell's best lap pushed the Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki of Chris Walker to fourth, whilst team-mate James Ellison looks set to sit out tomorrow's races despite a heroic effort to return this weekend form injury.
The RAF Reserves Honda team celebrated their best qualifying performance of the season with Peter Hickman ahead of Josh Waters in sixth to complete the second row. Jon Kirkham held on to seventh for the Halsall Biker Gear Kawasaki team, forcing ahead of John Hopkins and Dan Linfoot.
There was drama in the Milwaukee Yamaha garage as Brookes failed to set a lap, he left pitlane in the final moments of the session and narrowly missed being able to have a single flying lap. The Australian will now start from the fourth row.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, Datatag Extreme Qualifying:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 1m:26.017s
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) +0.904s
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +1.664s
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +1.700s
- Peter Hickman (RAF Reserves Honda) +1.754s
- Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +1.960s
- Jon Kirkham (Halsall Biker Gear Kawasaki) +1.978s
- John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +2.037s
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +2.197s
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha)