Datatag British Superbikes Official Sponsor - Round 9 Donington Park
British Superbikes Round 8 Donington Park 5th-7th September 2014
Kiyonari catapults to Donington Park double as Showdown beckons
hing to keep his rival behind him and despite Byrne continuing his attack throughout the race, the Japanese rider held the advantage.
The race winner again would be decided on the final lap but a mistake from Byrne saw his chance of making a final move disappear, however the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider leaves Donington Park with a 26 point lead ahead of the Showdown.
Kiyonari said: "I just pushed one hundred percent every lap and every corner, especially on the last lap I had to push very hard. I knew Shakey was behind me and he would try to pass at every corner. I am more than happy because not only did I win, I beat Josh and Shakey who are riders to beat. To also do this at my team's home track make this a perfect day."
Milwaukee Yamaha's Tommy Bridewell had his hopes of a double podium finish vanish when he crashed out unhurt at the Old Hairpin on the seventh lap as his team-mate Brookes fought through from a second tow start to claim third place.
Easton held fourth place ahead of Josh Waters on the Tyco Suzuki who moved up the order in the closing stages to hold off Honda Racing's Julien Da Costa. Peter Hickman on the RAF Reserves Honda was back in the top ten with seventh place ahead of James Westmoreland on the second of the Buildbase BMWs.
John Hopkins scored a top ten finish in ninth after his seventh row start whilst Title Fighter Chris Walker worked his way through to a top ten finish for the Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki ahead of the returning James Ellison.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, race two result:
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW)
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.489s
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +1.183s
- Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +7.438s
- Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +10.874s
- Julien Da Costa (Honda Racing) +11.764s
- Peter Hickman (RAF Reserves Honda) +15.039s
- James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +16.102s
- John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) +16.965s
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +17.190s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings ahead of the Showdown:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 562
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) 536
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) 535
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) 508
- Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) 505
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) 501
American attack as Hopkins hammers in first pole position of 2014
John Hopkins celebrated his first MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship pole position of the season at Donington Park as the American fired his Tyco Suzuki ahead of the triple champions Ryuichi Kiyonari and Shane 'Shakey' Byrne as he overcame this morning's technical problem.
Byrne had initially set the pace in Q3, however Hopkins saved his best lap until the end of the eight minute session, to snatch away the pole position from the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider and deny him his sixth pole start of the season.
The pole position was a turn in fortune for Philip Neill's team after they suffered a technical issue in the final free practice this morning which sidelined Hopkins. However he proved he has the pace this weekend and held a 0.039s advantage.
Hopkins said: "It feels really good to be on pole at a track that has always been good to me. I have really enjoyed riding here this weekend so far and unfortunately we had an electrical glitch that stopped us this morning so that was the first lap we did in qualifying after that. The boys did a good job and I am really happy to be on pole - my goal was the front row so this is an added bonus."
Kiyonari pushed up to second ahead of Byrne as the triple champions continue their battle for a record-breaking fourth title, but behind them Peter Hickman scored his best qualifying result of the season with a fourth place for the RAF Reserves Honda team.
Stuart Easton and Josh Brookes will complete the second row for the opening race. Brookes on the Milwaukee Yamaha overcame a crash at Redgate this morning to return to the circuit and an off track excursion at the Fogarty Esses also cost him in qualifying.
Josh Waters on the second Tyco Suzuki heads the third row ahead of Tommy Bridewell and James Westmoreland whilst Dan Linfoot completes the top ten.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Datatag Extreme Qualifying:
- John Hopkins (Tyco Suzuki) 1m:29.555s
- Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) +0.039s
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.122s
- Peter Hickman (RAF Reserves Honda) +0.255s
- Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.255s
- Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.327s
- Josh Waters (Tyco Suzuki) +0.424s
- Tommy Bridewell (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.472s
- James Westmoreland (Buildbase BMW) +0.578s
- Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +0.755s